Tuesday 17 March 2015

Pub Review - The King's Arms (SE1)

Some pubs you go to because they've got cheap drinks, others are popular with the opposite sex and others just have a certain ambience.  The Kings Arms has what I consider to be one of the best reasons to go ever; outstanding ribs at a knock down price!


I was first introduced to this pub a couple of years back and it was on the recommendation of the Tuesday night £10 ribs night.  My first thought was the pub looked like it was past its best.  The interior was pretty tired and it looked like a place on the down slope rather than on its way up. Then I tasted the ribs and all my misconceptions disappeared.  The serving size was excellent, the stickiness of the sauce was just right and the chips were top drawer.

Now you see them
Now you don't
It was not that long after that the pub actually closed and I was momentarily worried that I may never taste their ribs again.  The good news was that it was closed for a refurbishment and when it threw its doors open the refreshed pub was excellent.  Yes, the ribs were £1 more expensive, but the pub had improved significantly.  There is a good range of lagers on tap and the wine list is reasonable.  The big draw card here is the food though, the chefs are really doing a great job here.

Given it was shabby for a little while, but the refurb and menu are fantastic, it gets a big one thumb up from me.

This seems appropriate on St Paddy's day

No comments:

Post a Comment